Tests at Siemon Labs have verified that TERA cabling system supports 10BASE‑T1L single-pair Ethernet (SPE) for channel lengths up to 400 meters.
Siemon Labs collected typical transmission performance data using 400m SPE channels based on 4 TERA connectors, 375m of 4-pair category 7A shielded cable and stranded 1-pair patch cords totaling 25m. All 4 pairs of each channel were tested individually under SPE parameters, with the 1-pairs patch cords cycled thru each quadrant of the 4-pair TERA connectors in positions C1, C2, C3 and C4 as shown below.
Figure 1 – TERA SPE 400m Channel
- C1, C2, C3, and C4 = TERA 4-pair outlet
- 5m of stranded 1-pair shielded TERA patch cord
- 90m of solid 4-pair category 7A S/FTP cable
- 250m of solid 4-pair category 7A S/FTP cable with TERA 4 pair field terminatable plugs at each end
- 35m of solid 4-pair category 7A S/FTP cable
- 20m of stranded 1-pair shielded TERA patch cord
The test results showed that all 400m TERA SPE channels exhibited significant performance margins over 10BASE‑T1L requirements as specified in IEEE Std 802.3cg™-2019, including 45% headroom over critical insertion loss limits. These 400m SPE channels also exhibited substantial headroom vs the developing draft ISO/IEC 11801-1 Amendment 1 and ANSI/TIA-568.5 Standards.
To learn more about Single Pair Ethernet as well as guidance on preparing for 10BASE‑T1L application deployments, download Siemon's new Tech Brief: “TERA® SPE Deployment Solutions for Retrofit, Future-Proof New, and Day 1 SPE Installations“.