In recent years, there has been an emphasis on "smart" technology. Everything from phones to appliances has been imbued with intelligence, using data and automation to create streamlined, intuitive systems. This technology extends to larger mediums, including whole buildings. The popularity and applications of using smart technology to create Digital Buildings have increased and show no signs of slowing down.
The convergence of multiple systems, including phones, lighting, security, automation and more, onto one IP Platform through Internet of Things (IoT) technology is made possible by Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) cables, which allow both electricity and data to be transported to an application in a single cable. PoE technology offers a whole host of benefits, including ease and safety of installation, streamlined operations and increased savings because of efficiency.
According to Cisco, the digital building combines five key elements:
- Networking: IoT devices, switches and applications interconnected by PoE cabling
- Lighting: fully integrated lighting systems controlled through an IP network
- Automation: HVAC, communications and security systems built in at an infrastructure level
- Enablers: cabling and other key equipment needed to link multiple building systems
- Software: applications for managing systems and devices
Superior Essex is proud to enable the development of Digital Buildings as the provider of PowerWise™, the leading PoE cable for digital building applications. To learn more about PowerWise™ and specific product lines, click here.
Click here to contact your local Accu-Tech representative.