(In this blog post from Tripp Lite, discover solutions for protecting your computer - and your data - from threats. -Teddi)
Computer security is important because it keeps information and other sensitive data protected. It’s also important for a PC or laptop’s overall health by helping prevent malicious viruses and malware from entering systems, which allows programs to run quicker and smoother. While it’s important to protect your private data from theft, the most common data breaches occur at businesses both large and small.
Data breaches and thefts can happen in a variety of ways, but most boil down to one issue; laptop and desktop computer security. For instance, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, laptops played a role in 24 percent of all significant health care record data breaches; another 14 percent involved smartphones and other mobile devices. Other incidents, such as a 2009 data breach involving tens of thousands of Starbucks employee records on a stolen laptop, reinforce the fact that laptops and sensitive business data are a volatile and dangerous mix.
Here are Some Ominous Data Theft Statistics:
- 68% of business leaders feel their cybersecurity risks are increasing. (Accenture)
- On average, only 5% of companies’ folders are properly protected. (Varonis)
- Data breaches exposed 4.1 billion records in the first half of 2019. (RiskBased)
- 52% of breaches featured hacking, 28% involved malware and 32–33% included phishing or social engineering, respectively. (Verizon)
- While overall ransomware infections were down 52%, enterprise infections were up by 12% in 2018. (Symantec)
Most experts agree encryption is the most effective way to secure sensitive data. However, an additional step that is both affordable and easy to implement is a physical USB port blocker.
These USB port locks are an easy way to prevent unauthorized users from connecting a flash drive or other USB peripheral to a USB-A port. Use an included security key to insert a blocker into the USB port and lock it into place. This will prevent any USB peripheral from infecting the device with malware or removing classified data. The key also removes the port lock just as easily and quickly as it installs the blocker. The key and blockers can only be used together for maximum security.
Top Benefits of USB Port Blockers:
- Prevent unauthorized connection of thumb drives and other USB devices
- Help protect personal and company data from theft
- Prevents dirt and dust from entering unused ports
- Help corporations achieve CISPA, PCI-DSS, CCPA, NIST or HIPPA Compliance
- Offer user-friendly compatibility with all USB-A ports