One challenge when deploying WiFi access points, small cells and other remote devices is finding a local source of power. Power over Ethernet (PoE) has distance, data rate and power limitations, so a more efficient solution is needed.
CommScope offers the Powered Fiber Cable System, a complete "rack to device" solution for both powering and communicating with devices, such as small cells, WiFi hotspots, HD cameras and a variety of devices requiring both optical communications and DC power in one system. Deploying one hybrid power and fiber cable negates any additional electrical engineering - where the fiber goes, so does the power source. This can help you reduce planning and installation time, and this solution eliminates the need for local power sources.
CommScope's Powered Fiber Cable System is made up of two main components, featuring a hybrid cable and a PoE Extender in addition to cable and fiber management, power transmission management, safety and overload protection, as well as a universal power supply (PSU).
Powered Fiber Optic Cable - Single hybrid copper/fiber cable design for simplified cable field access
- Designed for "easy peel" cable access, so the cable can be accessed much faster than traditional hybrid cables
- No special tools needed - one ordinary wire strip tool accesses both the optical fiber and conductor elements
- Utilizes globally existing, proven and inexpensive FTTH style flat cable hardware
PoE Extender - Solves power and communication challenges with three levels of electrical protection
- Termination for hybrid cable input
- Environmentally-sealed closure - IP67
- Circuit protection electronics
- Electrical power management
- Media conversion
- 1 or 2 PoE+ outputs
CommScope's Powered Fiber Cable System provides power and communication simultaneously.